Adopting a Pet
The MonDak Humane Society views owning a pet as a privilege - not a right. Unfortunately, not all people can successfully take on the responsibilities of pet ownership. It is for this reason that the MonDak Humane Society has strict adoption policies and strong spay/neuter requirements. Our adoption program strives to place animals only as companion animals in kind and responsible homes where we are confident that they will receive proper care and attention throughout their lifetime. By doing this, we prevent future cruelties and actively control pet overpopulation. Our ultimate goal is to insure that fewer and fewer animals become tragic statistics in the communities that we serve.
Things To Consider Before Adopting A Pet
PLEASE take time in choosing a pet. Take into consideration the cost of food and health care, conservatively $300 per year, as well as the time you have to spend with your new companion. Consider the needs of the animal as well as your own.
PLEASE give the adoption time to work. It may take three to four weeks for your new pet to adjust to its new surroundings and to its new family. Pets are easily confused by drastic changes in their lives. Their habits have to change with each new owner. You are new to the animal and they are not sure where they are or how long they will be there.
The following conditions will apply to all adoptions:
- We require that all pets be spayed or neutered.
- We require that all pets have a safe and proper home environment.
- We require that all pets have a complete veterinary exam within one week of placement.
- We require that all pets receive proper veterinary care throughout their lifetime.
- We require permission of landlords prior to placement.
- We require strict adherence to laws and ordinances.
- We do not permit anyone to adopt an animal for anyone else or as a gift.
- We do not release any animals for research purposes.
- We do not permit the adoption of animals by minors.
- We reserve the right to refuse any adoption.
- We charge an adoption fee of $35 and up for a cat and $50 and up for a dog for the animals we place.
If you would like to see the animals we have available for adoption now please visit Our Virtual
Shelter page. If you would like your name put on our list for adoptions please e-mail us or
call 701-577-PETS (7387) and leave a voice mail and we will return
your call. You may also fill out our Adoption Application and mail it to P.O. Box 1572 Williston, ND 58802. If you have a specific kind of animal in mind just let us know and we will try
to help you find it.
IF YOU CANNOT PROVIDE A PROPER AND LIFETIME HOME FOR A PET - DO NOT ADOPT IT!!!